Oral cancer affects more than 30,000 men and women every year. It can develop in any part of the mouth, including the upper part of the throat and may have few noticeable symptoms in its earliest stages. A comprehensive oral exam that includes oral cancer can help identify early changes that indicate the presence of oral cancer. Our San Pedro oral cancer exam
expert offers oral cancer exams that are fast, painless and effective.
Several risk factors are associated with the development of oral cancer, including:
• Tobacco use - Smoking or chewing tobacco significantly increases the risk of developing oral cancer.
• Heavy alcohol use - Heavy drinkers tend to be more likely to develop oral cancer than nondrinkers, and their risk is dramatically increased if they also smoke or chew tobacco.
• HPV infections - HPV is a common sexually transmitted disease that can infect the mouth and trigger cancer development.
• Sun exposure - Excessive sun exposure can trigger cancer on the lips.
• A personal history of oral cancer - If you have suffered from one oral cancer, you may be at an increased risk of developing another oral cancer.
• Unhealthy diet - The healthiest diets include plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, which contain nutrients that are critical to good health.
San Pedro Oral Cancer Exam
Symptoms of oral cancer may not be noticeable at first, but our San Pedro oral cancer exam
expert recommends that you look for:
• Rough white or red patches
• Smooth, bright red patches
• A sore that does not heal
• Unexplained oral bleeding
• Pain or difficulty swallowing
• Loose teeth or a change in bite
• A change in the way your dentures fit
• An earache
• Facial numbness
Our expert in oral cancer exam in San Pedro
can complete your oral cancer screening in just a few minutes. He will then examine your neck, face, lips and internal oral structures for signs of oral cancer. The insides of your lips and cheeks and your tongue will be evaluated for discolorations, rough patches or swelling.
Contact our office today to learn more or to schedule your consultation with our expert in oral cancer exam in San Pedro
Back to Articles